Wisdom teeth are your 3rd molars that erupt around 16-20 years old. Often there isn’t enough room in your mouth for these teeth, and they become impacted in the mouth. Once impacted, they should be extracted before they cause you problems. Wisdom teeth impaction can lead to pain, swelling, infection, shifting of other teeth and even cavities on your 2nd molars.
Wisdom Tooth Extraction Procedure
Your wisdom teeth can either be extracted by your dentist or by an oral surgeon while you are awake or asleep. The extraction process depends on the difficulty of the extractions. Factors such as how impacted the teeth are and their location in relation to certain nerves and blood vessels in the mouth are considered.
- To start the procedure, you will receive an anesthetic to numb the area.
- Your dentist will use various tools to remove your wisdom teeth.
- The extraction area may or may not be stitched afterwards.
- You will be given instructions for care after the procedure.
Benefits of Wisdom Tooth Extraction
- Reduces the risk of infection
- Reduces the risk of pain and swelling
- Reduces the risk of shifting teeth and misalignment of nearby teeth
- Extracting wisdom teeth is easier and less risky when they are not already infected (do it before there’s a problem!)
Important Tips To Consider
- If you start having pain or swelling with your wisdom teeth, see your dentist ASAP
- Recovery from wisdom teeth extraction usually only takes a few days
- While recovering from wisdom teeth extraction, never smoke or use a straw, the suction or sucking motion can cause issues with healing
- Use the medication that your doctor prescribes to manage any discomfort during the healing process
- It is often best to remove all of your wisdom teeth at once instead of just 1 or 2 because teeth only function with an opposing tooth
- You may not have all four wisdom teeth in your mouth, it is common for people to be missing 1,2, 3 or even all of their wisdom teeth
If you believe you may need your wisdom teeth extracted, or have any questions about it, we encourage you to contact us today to schedule an appointment.